Follow the adventures of Neill's trip to the 2011 Isle of Man TT Races.

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Day 5 - Grey Tuesday

Bit of a lie in today. No racing and plans really depend on the weather, which as it stands is dull, grey and wet. Raining quite hard but supposed to brighten up later.

Today is Ramsey Sprint day, down on the prom. To be honest I’m not really that fussed. I don’t really want to spend the whole week doing bikey things, when there is so much more to see. I’m thinking then, that I might just get the tram up to Laxey and check out the wheel. I’ve never been there before, though I’ve seen it from the road a couple of times this week. I could ride up there but I’m in Douglas for the races tomorrow so don’t really want to risk getting my gear wet today.

Just as I walked out the back gate, the rain started. Just a quick shower. Long enough for  me to get my new brolly out and put straight away again. £10 got me a return to Laxey. The trams consist of two cars. The second was open sided, I avoided that. The first had all heavily varnished wood panelling and cast iron, reversible seats. The trams are over 100 years old. I think I've seen something similar, maybe even made by the same company, in Majorca.

The trip to Laxey takes 45 minutes, through beautiful countryside and along the cliffs above the sea. Once at Laxey, you cross the road and walk up the hill towards the wheel. You can see it turning away through the trees. A big white structure with a massive, bright red wheel. If it looks impressive from a distance, up close it is even more so. It's four quid to get in, which I didn't think was bad. Besides the wheel, there is a walk up the valley around the mine workings and old, now fallen into disrepair, buildings.     

You can actually climb up the wheel structure, so on the top platform you are face to face with the top of the 72ft diameter wheel. The view from there is quite good too, both up and down the valley. Around the site are numerous sign boards, so you are never left in doubt as to what you are looking at. There is one bit of the mine you can still walk into, albeit just a few metres (70 or so) you need a hard hat to be safe and could probably do with a brolly too, as water drips down from the ceiling.

I give the Laxey Wheel a big thumbs up and would recommend it to anyone. a value for money visit.

After leaving the wheel I went down to the harbour. On the way, by the road, you pass another smaller wheel. This is on the site of where the rock from the mine was 'washed'. Basically where they broke it down into small pieces and separated the ore from the stone. The harbour is small, the seafront not much bigger, with one shop/cafe. I gave that a miss and headed back to the pub I'd just passed. It was a brew pub, which means they produce their own beer. I had a pint of their Bosun ale and a beef sandwich. Then it was time to walk back to the tram station and catch the return to Ramsey.

I timed it just right, a Ramsey tram was in the station. Only problem was, both carriages were open sided, so it was a tad chilly on the way back, to say the least.

Having finally managed to get some photos uploaded, albeit one at a time, I popped out for a burger and chips at the Trawlerman fish and chip restaurant. Then I popped into the Swan for my third pint of the holiday. Yesterday I'd had a Titanic but unfortunately it was off, so I ended up having Okells bitter. Not as nice. Just as I left the pub, the rains came again. Here's hoping it's dry for tomorrow.

And that was Day 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment